Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Roma wasn't grown in a day

My Black Russian tomatoes, while delicious, are proving not in the least pest resistant. Reluctant to use sprays, I'm still using the stocking method but this is quite time consuming. Consequently, I'm only harvesting a small amount of the total fruit. The rich taste is worth it though, especially for Italian red sauce such as spaghetti bolognese.

Fortunately the Roma and Tiny Tom varieties are doing well and need little pest control. I would highly recommend Tiny Tom tomatoes if you need a low maintenance plant. I've also got another cherry tomato growing that must have self-seeded from last year. The Roma tomatoes are plentiful and, while smaller than those you'd find in a store, taste delicious and are a perfect topping for cheese on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment